Good bye to Fiji

Hello again. This is the last post from Fiji as we are heading to New Zealand tomorrow morning.

It is 4 pm and raining hard again. We are slowly packing up and we gotta stay below that 50 lb weight limit per bag.

If brother Rick the woodworker is reading our posts then this is for him.

I took some shots of a new set of stairs leading to the lobby. The wood is very nice, has a beautiful grain and looks similar to mahogany but is a Fijian hardwood I think they call durana. I'm not sure how to spell it. They are now replacing some of the flooring in the lobby with it. The boards are 4 inches wide with slightly varying thickness. They lay the boards down and use finishing nails set deep then use a large belt sander to even out all the boards followed by a thick layer of varnish.

Also impressive are the utility sheets of plywood that they use to board off their work areas. The top layer is the same type of wood as the boards and would make incredible cabinets, furniture or whatever.





I know it has been kinda silly of me to do this Fred the Toad thing but I did have fun with it, even has spread a bit around the resort some. I figure if they can humanize cats, dogs and other more notable critters on YouTube then why can't I do the same for the lowly toad?

If Naomi has nothing to add we will say goodbye and reconnect in Auckland, hopefully tomorrow night.

Bye for now.

PS-if any one wants to correspond with ole Freddy (Just can't call him Frederick the Frog, he's just a toad for Pete's sake!) He can be reached at:

                 Frederick the Frog
                  c/o Misiwata Lese, P.O. Box 8, Korolevu, Fiji Islands


Comments

  1. We have heaps of toads at home here in Australia, let me know when you get home and I can send you some as pets.... lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Wrecks of Truk

A Fijian Standoff!

Pearl Harbor